NZ Mountain Safety
The Outdoor Safety - Code 5
At the Mountain Safety Council we are all about enjoying the great New Zealand outdoors safely, so we have put together this Safety Tips section to help you discover more of our beautiful country, and still tell the tale afterwards.
1) Plan your trip Seek local knowledge, plan the route you will take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect it to take.
2) Tell someone Tell someone your plans and leave a date for when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned.
3) Be aware of the weather New Zealand’s weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes
4) Know your limits Challenge yourself within your physical limits and experience.
5) Take sufficient supplies Make sure you have enough food, equipment and emergency rations for the worst case scenario. Take an appropriate means of communication.
The 5 safety points above have been created through expert consultation and are the core to all outdoor safety practices. All of the points can be expanded upon depending on your specific recreation and geographic location, so use them as a starting point and make sure you know all you can about your activity before you head out.